POETRY IS LIKE TAKING A DEEP BREATH

Saturday, 14 May 2011

THE FORCE THAT THROUGH THE GREEN FUSE DRIVES THE FLOWER




The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
Drives my geen age; that blasts the roots of trees
Is my destroyer.
And I am dumb to tell the crooked rose
My youth is bent by the same wintry fever.

The force that drives the water through the rocks
Drives my red blood; that dries the mouthing streams
Turns mine to wax.
And I am dumb to mouth unto my veins
How at the mountain spring the same mouth sucks.

The hand that whirls the water in the pool
Stirs the quicksand; that ropes the blowing wind
Hauls my shroud sail.
And I am dumb to tell the hanging man
How of my clay is made the hangman's lime.

The lips of time leech to the fountain head;
Love drips and gathers, but the fallen blood
Shall calm her sores.
And I am dumb to tell a weather's wind
How time has ticked a heaven round the stars.

And I am dumb to tell my lover's tomb
How at my sheet goes the same crooked worm.



Dylan Thomas
1914-1953



Dylan Thomas wrote this poem when he was 19, wishing to demonstrate "that the blood in my lungs is the blood that goes up and down in a tree".




7 comments:

  1. Thank you!!!!!! I love Dylan Thomas and this is one of his best!!! The photo is perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes, what a poem. thanks for posting it, Friko! You are an education to us. Wow, was that ever a good one.

    P

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no doubt about it. He shows promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. friko sign this kid up!!!! dylan was an amazing and messy thinker and thank goodness for the confluence of amazing and messy!!!! steven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the poetry. I am not a poet, but I can appreciate other are and like them very much. I am happy to have found your little place. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have always been a big fan of Dylan Thomas... profound thoughts bouncing through the days.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I love to receive comments from other poetry lovers.

This blog is pure self-indulgence; I love poetry and am grateful that Blogger has given me this vehicle to indulge myself.

Only via my main blog 'Friko's World' do I visit, comment on, and follow other blogs.

Thank you for understanding.