POETRY IS LIKE TAKING A DEEP BREATH

Saturday, 18 February 2012

WEATHERS





This is the weather the cuckoo likes,
And so do I;
When showers betumble the chestnut spikes,
And nestlings fly;
And the little brown nightingale bills his best,
And they sit outside at 'The Traveller's Rest,'
And maids come forth sprig-muslin drest,
And citizens dream of the south and west,
And so do I.

This is the weather the shepherd shuns,
And so do I;
When beeches drip in browns and duns,
And thresh and ply;
And hill-hid tides throb, throe on throe,
And meadow rivulets overflow,
And drops on gate bars hang in a row,
And rooks in families homeward go,
And so do I.


Thomas Hardy
1840-1928

5 comments:

  1. Well, it certainly figures that I would like the weather that the cuckoo does. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cannot complain of lack of music in this poem, can we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would have been worth it just for "betumble" - but of course the entire poem is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poetry. The photo composition is so poetic too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely write! :)

    Ahhh...Cranford! Yes, Mrs. Forrester's Bessie, darling......"like a daughter to me"....... ;)

    She made the Union suit as they were going to do away with Bessie.

    However, if you saw Return to Cranford, you will know thatI will NEVER recover from what happened....... :)

    Thanks for your comment. There ARE no easy access blogs. Blogs are all backwards and impossible to read properly! lol

    Have a lovely and creative day!

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I love to receive comments from other poetry lovers.

This blog is pure self-indulgence; I love poetry and am grateful that Blogger has given me this vehicle to indulge myself.

Only via my main blog 'Friko's World' do I visit, comment on, and follow other blogs.

Thank you for understanding.