POETRY IS LIKE TAKING A DEEP BREATH

Tuesday, 5 July 2011

BREATHING SPACE JULY

Pieter Bruegel
The Corn Harvest -  1565



The man who lies on his back under huge trees
is also up in them. He branches out into thousands of tiny branches.
He sways back and forth,
he sits in a catapult that hurtles forward in slow motion.

The man who stands down at the dock screw up his eyes against the water.
Ocean docks get older faster than men.
They have silver-grey posts and boulders in their gut.
The dazzling light drives straight in.

The man who spends the whole day in an open boat
moving over the luminous bays
will fall asleep at last inside the shade of his blue lamp
as the islands crawl like huge moths over the globe.


Tomas Transtromer
1931
translated from the Swedish by Robert Bly



8 comments:

  1. I love Bruegel's work and it fits nicely with Transtomer's poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading (good) contemporary (in the last 100 years?) poetry by men. Translations are fraught with complications but the final stanza of this particular verse is lovely enough to take with tea.

    Thank you for posting, Friko. I do enjoy this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. friko i've come across transtomer's writing before and these words - astonishing words - have compelled me to look for more!
    "The man who lies on his back under huge trees
    is also up in them. He branches out into thousands of tiny branches.
    He sways back and forth,
    he sits in a catapult that hurtles forward in slow motion." really!!! wow! steven

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poem. Interesting, and appropriate, I think, to see Transtromer translated by Robert Bly. I'm glad to be reminded of Transtromer, of whom I've only recently learned. You do indeed give us a treasure trove of poetry here, Friko.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice find, Friko



    Aloha from Waikiki

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    > < } } ( ° >

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  6. Groovy. Very much enjoyed. Thanks, Friko!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing. And new to me. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I love to receive comments from other poetry lovers.

This blog is pure self-indulgence; I love poetry and am grateful that Blogger has given me this vehicle to indulge myself.

Only via my main blog 'Friko's World' do I visit, comment on, and follow other blogs.

Thank you for understanding.